Universidade da Beira Interior
UBI is a Public University structured in faculties, departments, research units and competence centres. Innovative research, knowledge transfer, and entrepreneurship activities are central to the university’s mission and objectives as shown by the outcomes of its R&D units and groups, supported mainly by research contracts. The Center for Aerospace Sciences and Technology (CAST) research and development activities can be grouped within five main multidisciplinary thematic areas: Dynamics and Control of Space Systems; Aeronautical Materials and Structures; Energetic systems; Technological Forecasting and Industrial Management. The ClusterDem Research Lab. in University of Beira Interior is a laboratory equipped with High-Performance Computer clusters for performing numerical simulation on Multiphysics. Past studies include works on transitional, turbulent, high speed compressible and magnetoplasmadynamic flows. Applications include: MPD Thrusters; Inverse Gas Turbine Blade Design; Inovative propulsion systems; MHD turbulent flow in Propulsion Nozzles; Turbulent Flow in Pumps; or Ground an Air Vehicle Aerodynamics.
For futher information see: http://clusterdem.ubi.pt/
Prof. Dr. José Páscoa is an active researcher in Computational Fluid Dynamics and holds a record of several dozen publications on the field. Presently he is the Head of ClusterDem Research Lab. and the Scientific Council Secretary of CAST-Centre for Aerospace Sciences and Technology, being also the Director of the 1rst Cycle Degree in Electromechanical Engineering. Formerly he was a visiting researcher at the Rolls-Royce UTC of Loughborough University (U.K.). He has worked on diverse research projects specially on internal gas dynamics and turbomachinery. Prof. Dr. José Páscoa holds a Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering, he was also approved in the two day public exam on Scientific and Pedagogical Aptitude. He is a Full Chartered Engineer from the Portuguese Ordem dos Engenheiros and holds a five year Degree in Electromechanical Engineering with a major in Energetics (thermodynamics).
Current active funded projects:
- (role: leader) Project FP7‐AAT‐2012‐RTD‐L0 Nº 323047 – CROP‐Cycloidal Rotor Optimized for Propulsion 2013-2015, UBI, UNIMORE, UoS, IAT21, GROB, PoliMi
- (role: leader) Project PTDC/CTE-SPA/114163/2009 “SpaceProp – MHD Numerical Modelling in nozzles of MPD Thrusters for Space Propulsion” (2011-2014), UBI.
- (role: leader) Project SFRH/BD/60285/2009 “Computational Modelling of MHD Flow with Applications to Turbines and MPD Propulsion” (2009-2013), UBI/ESA.
- (UBI team leader) Projeto FP7‐AAT‐2012‐RTD‐L0 Nº 309041 ‐ ACHEON “Aerial Coanda High Efficiency Orienting-jet Nozzle”, 2012-2013, UNIMORE, VUB, REIMOVA, UoL, UBI, Nimbus
- (UBI team leader) European 7th FP Project MAAT ” Multibody Advanced Airship for Transport” Grant agreement no: 285602 (http://projectmaat.org/, 2011-2014, UNIMORE, UBI, LNC, UH, SFEDU, Unibo, eDL, ASKR, VUB, Polito
1. Abdollahzadeh M., Páscoa J. C. , Oliveira P.J. (2012), “Numerical investigation on efficiency increase in high altitude propulsion systems using plasma actuators”, in Proc. European Congress on Computational Methods in Applied Sciences and Engineering, ECCOMAS 2012.
2. Páscoa J. C., Xisto C. M., Göttlich E., (2010), “Performance assessment limits in transonic 3D turbine stage blade rows using a mixing-plane approach”, Journal of Mechanical Science and Technology, Vol. 24(10), pp. 2035-2042, ISSN: 1738-494X;
3. Xisto C.M., Páscoa J.C., Oliveira P.J., Nicolini D.A. 2. (2010), “Implementation of a 3D compressible MHD Solver Able to Model Transonic Flows”, in Proc. V European Conference on Computational Fluid Dynamics ECCOMAS CFD 2010, 14 pp.